A Carer’s Allowance is a great thing for citizens of the UK who need help from the government. The allowance is for people who are full time caregivers to someone in need, meaning that you help the person for 35 hours and up every week. In order to get this extra income, the person who you work for must also get some form of government assistance in the UK. These programs that qualify them include Personal Independence Payment, Armed Forces Independence Payment, Attendance Allowance, and different forms of the Constant Attendance Allowance. If the person that you are currently caring for does not have any of these government assistances, then you may not qualify for these allowances.

The caregiver must also meet some qualifications in order to receive the Carer’s Allowance. Some of the qualifications include being 16 or older, been in the United Kingdom for at least 2 years, not being in full time education or going to school 21 hours a week, not having immigration issues, and making £123 a week. Of course, like stated earlier you must also be caring for someone at least 35 hours a week.

Another thing to consider when trying to figure out if you qualify for the Carer’s Allowance is to make sure that your income is truly £123 a week after expenses. This is not to say that you can only make this much a week. There are factors to consider that make your livable income less than this amount. If you contribute 50% of your expenses to a work pension than this can be deducted from your weekly income. Anyone that does a job that requires them to buy their own uniforms and equipment, such as nurses than these expenses can be deducted from the amount as well. Other deductions that can be used is if you work from home and have to use a computer and internet to do your job or if you have to pay for child care when taking care of the disabled person.

Once you have determined that you meet the qualifications to receive a Carer’s Allowance. When you go to apply, it is a great idea to have some information available. Some of the information that you need to apply for the benefits include you and their National Insurance Number, employer details and payslips, bank and building society details if you don’t have any government assistance already, details of other expenses such as child care, a P45 if you are not working at the moment, and course details if you are currently studying in the school. In addition, you also need the person you care for Disability Living Allowance and birth certificate information. So, once you have all the details you need, see if you qualify today!